Sunday, October 14, 2012

absolute success!

Completed the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon today!  Finish time was 2:00:19, I totally rocked it!  Four minutes faster than my initial goal time.  I couldn't be more thrilled (and relieved).

I left the house at 6:45 am, complete darkness and pouring rain.  Wind was heavy, roads were terrible.  The entire drive I was thinking, "what am I doing"?

When I arrived at the starting corral I ditched my rain "garbage bag" jacket and an old hoodie I brought in case it was cool.  Suprisingly, the rain quit, the tempurature was actually pleasant and so began our 21k journey through the streets of Toronto.

The course was crowded, not a lot of room to move but the pace was good.  I felt great and kept up with those around me.  I stopped at each and every aid station for either water or Gatorade, I took my Gu at 8km.  No stomach cramps, no bathroom urges ... life is good!

The last 2 kilometres were the toughest.  I wanted to stop so badly but persisted and pushed on through.

As I crossed the finish line, I threw my hands in the air and almost felt like I was going to burst into tears.
It was emotional.  All of those weeks training, my last four months spent in running shorts and athletic tanks had finally paid off.  I had completed my first half marathon.   My time was impressive (for me). Better than I ever expected.  I am beyond thrilled, what an amazing achievement, I can hardly wait for the next one!!!


stunning medal
finish line at the Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment